The National Telecommunications and Information Administration (NTIA), located within the Department of Commerce, is the Executive Branch agency that is principally responsible by law for advising the President on telecommunications and information policy issues. NTIA’s programs and policymaking focus largely on expanding broadband Internet access and adoption in America, expanding the use of spectrum by all users, and ensuring that the Internet remains an engine for continued innovation and economic growth. These goals are critical to America’s competitiveness in the 21st century global economy and to addressing many of the nation’s most pressing needs, such as improving education, health care, and public safety.
Specific NTIA activities include:
- Managing the Federal use of spectrum and identifying additional spectrum for commercial use;
- Administering grant programs that further the deployment and use of broadband and other technologies in America;
- Developing policy on issues related to the Internet economy, including online privacy, copyright protection, cybersecurity, and the global free flow of information online;
- Promoting the stability and security of the Internet’s domain name system through its participation on behalf of the U.S. government in Internet Corporation for Assigned Names and Numbers (ICANN) activities; and
- Performing cutting-edge telecommunications research and engineering with both Federal government and private sector partners.
In addition to working with other Executive Branch agencies to develop Administration positions, NTIA represents the Executive Branch in both domestic and international telecommunications and information policy activities. NTIA is also a leading source of research and data on the status of broadband availability and adoption in America.
Information Quality Guidelines
- NTIA's FY 2023 Congressional Budget Justification and Annual Performance Plan, FY 2021 Annual Performance Report
- Department of Commerce Privacy Program
- Department of Commerce No FEAR Act page
- Department of Commerce Strategic plan
- Department of Commerce FY 2020 budget request and annual performance plan
- Department's organizational structure, mission and statutory authority
- Department of Commerce Open Government page
- Department of Commerce Plain Language page
- Department of Commerce Office of Small and Disadvantaged Business Utilization